Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 8: April 30th - The Plum Gardens and Peanut Milk

The Plum Garden was interesting, and it was probably the first time I went all out on the tourist-y behaviour of taking a bajillion pictures of nothing. The end result was over 100 pictures of the place. I've dumped them all on my laptop, and I'll decide what to do with them later. There were a few high places in the garden, and I got some nice views of Wuxi and Tai Hu Lake. I also noticed that the mountain in Wuxi has a very nice view, and a Pagoda like thing at the top, for viewing the whole city. On a nice day, if I'm bored, I'll make the trek there while Jessica and Alex work, and check that out. I expect it'll be a good workout as well.

More interesting than the Garden itself was the ride to and from. It was an unnecessarily complicated ride, consisting of many circular paths, and offroads. The way there was entertaining because I found out where the electronics market is (definitely going there a few times), and because the bus had some sweet cartoons on it called "There she is!". Jessica thought they were Korean, and the first one had a very Pepe LePew feel to it. They were fun, and there was no voice, just music, so even we Laowhy could understand it.

The way back was way sketchier. There was a lady puking into a clear bag in the back, which was nasty. Also, it was way less direct than the way there, so we were going all over the place, and I heard quite a few "Uhhh, this is kinda the OPPOSITE way we want to go" comments from Jessica and Alex, who both know the area far better than I do.

For dinner, we stopped at McDonalds and picked up some coffee and Chris and I got fries out of curiosity. They suck. McDonalds advertises that they have the same taste all over the world... they don't. Not to mention there was no salt on the fries. We then headed over to Baoli (the mall close to our apt) and wanted Barbeque, but the nice security guard who suggested food to us last time came over, and when I asked, he said the guy wouldn't be around until tomorrow. We went to another nearby restaurant, and the food was still really good, but unless I find a new type of restaurant, I'm going to get mighty tired of these dishes. Ching tsai (Literal translation: Green vegetable), and tomato and egg are getting overdone. A lot of these dishes are almost identical, and are getting tiring. The biggest problem is that any non-traditional dish (especially Westernized dishes) are massively expensive in comparison.

Just before bed, I also downed a nice tetra bag of peanut milk. This stuff is cool. It's milk, but kept in a tetra pack (like those bags you'd stab with a straw and drink back home, the brand name escapes me) and it has a strong peanut taste to it. It sounds gross, but its so good. I like it so much, I just wanted to dedicate a paragraph to it.

No comments: