Went out walking with Alex while Jessica cleaned the apartment up a bit. We skipped one of the fruit stands, because according to Alex, the vendor is mean. We also stopped at the Kudi for some instant coffee. Instant coffee seems to be a necessary evil, since the coffee here is mediocre at best. We found some with creamer and sugar already in it (how, I don't know), which was specifically requested by Jessica.
Alex and I then went out hunting for a fruit stand, and finally found one after a nice circular walk. We got a few normal fruits (oranges, plums, and mango), and one unknown one for the hell of it. It's not bad, so we named it the "Whatisit fruit". We'll find out the real name later, but I doubt I'll ever get to know the English word for it. The fruit stand was expensive though, and wouldn't haggle. 39 quai for fruit. I complain, but I know compared to Canada, it's still cheap. It seems all the necessities of life are super cheap, but commodities are expensive (relatively speaking). This is why shampoo costs the same as 3 or 4 meals, or about 8 beers. Apparently, shampoo is optional, but beer is a necessity of life.
I also discovered today that the customers at Staples are (pardon the pun) full of shit. The airline food was the only thing that gave me anything close to diarrhea, and I've been fine since. I didn't even own up to my intention to keep dairy up, I've been too busy eating random unknown foods and maggots. Mom, you wouldn't last a day here.
We didn't do a whole lot today. Our original intention was to go have copies of the keys made, but upon realizing it's a Saturday, we gave up all hope. Hy-Lite is useless enough when it's a work day. The lack of concept of time has really started to dawn on me. I have no idea what time it is most of the day, nor do I know the date, or even the day. Writing this is the only thing giving me any concept of time at all.
So for most of the day, we chilled in the apartment, then headed out to wander the streets. We found a few DVD stores, and tried some random snacks. Sweet potato chips were OK, and the roasted chestnuts were pretty good as well. We had dumplings loaded with soup and beef in them, and they were awesome. A bit difficult to eat, but very good.
We also met Chris and Sabrina at a restaurant down in who knows where. It went beyond my memorized streets, and since I can barely pronounce the street names, let alone remember them, I have no idea where it was. It was pretty good, but the soup that we ordered kind of freaked me out. It was a yellow broth, with all sorts of seafood in it. Sounded good, but it's the whole animal. So you'd have to crack open a crab, or the entire shrimp, and suck out the meat. I'm sure it would've tasted good, but I couldn't get over the fact that you'd have to eat at least part of the stomach/intestines. Remembering the times I've eaten lobster, if you eat stomach/intestines, you can get parasites and random ungoodliness in you, which would be bad. So I just politely ate what I could without getting too close to the stomach, and hid the rest under napkins on my plate. Next time, two orders of the fish, no seafood medley soup.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment