Friday night, we went back to Soho, and I was determined not to make an ass of myself again. We had a lot of excited people greet us again, and since I had my cell phone and camera this time, I got Li Bin Hui's picture and phone number. I told him if he showed me around Wuxi, and taught me some Chinese, I'd help him learn more English (he's pretty decent as he is now). He seemed very excited, and when I text messaged him the next day, he made it clear that he'd like to another time, but this weekend was too busy for him.
Anyway, long story short, the same bottle cost us 250, but I got 4 cokes out of it. It's clear now that, as always, buying bulk gets you better prices. The first bottle will never be as cheap as the second. Even so, we had a good time, and one of the bartenders gave us a bottle of wine. Chinese wine is... interesting. I like red wine, and that's what we happened to get, but it just wasn't right, in some inexplicable way. The Chinese chill their red wines, and if you ask for wine in Chinese, you don't actually get wine. You have to ask for grape wine to get red wine, and there is no white wine here. Asking for wine gets you Chinese liquor, which is apparently very strong, but nasty. I'll try it another time. I did end up redeeming myself, walking out of there responsibly, and very happy since I had gotten the waiter's number. My first Chinese friend! Eat your hearts out, Tommy and Fred! You got nothing on real China.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment