Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Day 10: May 2nd - Day 2 in Shanghai

Heading home at dawn was a new phenomenon, considering how relatively early Canadian bars close (Last call typically at 1 AM). Again, just by approaching a cab, beggars came a-running. One guy kept knocking on the window and yelling for cash, but I thought was hilarious, because he kept smiling and giving us the thumbs up. He was begging for money, but at the same time, just happy to see foreigners. We got back to the hotel and crashed until about 2 PM.

We had a (very) late breakfast, and around the time the sun went down (around 6PM), we headed out to the Bund. It's a waterfront area, with a few sights to see. We went at night because it's prettier, basically. This was crazy busy, again because of the holiday, and the sidewalks were so full, people were walking out on the street. Taking a car anywhere was useless because of all the people walking. We got to the waterfront, and took a look around the area. Some deaf Chinese people approached me and asked if they could have a picture with me and Jessica. I took the opportunity to get my picture taken with them as well, and try to sign to them. I don't think they understood much, but I got a lot of what they said. The more I stay, the more I notice that Chinese people suck at Charades. Acting anything out, or using body language is often useless.

Eventually, we ventured back to the hotel, and stopped for barbeque. Jessica also ordered what she thought was going to be one fruit smoothie, and it turned out they made a smoothie for each fruit she ordered. Seems the Chinese don't like to mix their fruits together. We just drank a little bit of each of the three, and it still turned out quite good. We turned in, and prepared for the 5 AM wakeup call the next morning, since our train headed back to Wuxi at 7 AM.

No comments: