The following conversation occured on the street. It's common for the Chinese to yell "Hello! Laowhi! Hello!" (Laowhi = old outsider, foreigner) and expect us to respond kindly and even let them talk to us and practice their English (usually atrocious). Today, I was not in a tolerant mood, and this put me in a much angrier mood when it was all said and done:
Chinese Moron: "Hello!"
*I turn and glare at him*
*He assumes that means he can come up to me and talk to me, and does so*
~In English~
CM: "Where you from?"
~In Chinese~
Me: I'm from Canada
CM: Ah, I see. What country are you from?
Me: Canada
CM: I know, I know Canada. But what COUNTRY are you from?
~In English~
Me: CANADA!
CM: Yes, but where you from? America? Australia? Germany? France?
Me: ... Ca-Na-Da.
~In Chinese~
Me: I am not American, I am Canadian.
CM: I know! I know! But what country? America? Australia? Germany? France? Where?
Me: ... Do you know where Canada is?
*CM hesitates*
Me: Here is America...
*I show with my hand in the air*
Me: Here is Canada.
*I point above it*
*CM hesitates a bit more*
~In English~
CM: Yes, I know. North.
Me: Yes.
CM: But...
Me: Canada.
CM: Yes, Toronto.
*I sigh, thinking I've finally gotten through to him*
Me: Yes, I live very close to Toronto.
CM: See? I know! But what country...
*I make a very angry face*
CM: Did you know? This is free!
*CM points to my coffee, from McDonalds*
Me: It's free?
CM: Not free, but free.
~In Chinese~
CM: McDonalds will give you more coffee for no money.
~In English~
Me: Oh, free refills. Yes, I know.
CM: One day, I drink 60 of them for free. Manager not happy.
*CM laughs*
I just walked away from him. The guy was a fucking moron. Apparently, he is not aware that Canada is a country. I still have no fucking clue what he thinks it is. He knows Toronto, but I'm not sure he knows what Canada is. It's my best guess that he thinks Canada is called Toronto. I tried in two languages, and he still has no fucking clue where I'm from. I really have to stop instinctively looking every time someone yells Hello. I'm getting too many stupid fuckers trying to talk to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment